Saturday, August 17, 2013

Yeah me 4.5 miles, and my poor stomach

Hello everyone!!!!     I am very proud of myself, ever since having my thyroid removed I have had a serious mental block.   I can't seem to get myself past running/walking 3 miles well the past couple weekends I have done a little more then 3 almost four, but today I smashed my mental block and did 4.5 miles!!!!!  While to some this may seem minuscule to me it is a great accomplishment.   I was even told that I should probably move up to the next pace group!!  As exciting as that is I am not exactly sure I am ready for that kind of challenge.  Small steps!!          

Well after many years of not getting my stomach checked, I finally went to the gastro doctor and had an endoscopy and colonoscopy done.  For those of you who have never had this done, it sounds much worse then it is.   Basically they call you back, get your vitals hook you up to fluids, then wheel you off to the procedure room where they give you some nice medicine and then you wake up!   Thank goodness I don't remember the procedure at all!!!  Other then being wheeled in, and them putting a mouth piece in my mouth for the endoscopy I have to say the whole experience was probably easier then running/walking 4.5 miles.    The worst part of it was the prep, and now trying to get my system regulated again.      The other not sure fun part was the results.  I am still waiting for the results of the biopsies, however his first impressions were not surprising and very surprising.   He basically said I have reflux, erosive gastritis, and diverticulosis.  Now the reflux and the gastritis don't surprise me, but the diverticulosis I have to say I am very surprised.  Of course,  I probably did the worst thing anyone can do, I googled it.   This was not a good idea, because now I am freaked out and not sure what I can and can't eat. I do know however, that I do need to increase my fiber intake.  I thought I was eating enough, but apparently not.  In my search of stuff I also found out that many people have found that by cutting out gluten they are better able to manager their symptoms.   So here I am back at square one, with that GLUTEN warning flashing at me.  As if that wasn't enough, I then saw a episode of Dr. Oz on gluten sensitivity and I checked off 7 things.  So what does this tell me, something else I have been suspecting, I am pretty convinced I have a gluten sensitivity.  
What my next steps are, I am not sure.   Well I think I know, but I guess I need to come to reality and suck it up and change my eating habits.  So here is my list of to do:1) eat more fruits and vegetables, 2) eat less meat (which isn't a problem for me b/c I am not big on meat), 3) take fiber supplements, 4) drink more water, 5) eliminate bad carbs including cutting back on gluten, 6) figuring out if I can eat or if I can't eat things with seeds (much controversy on this with diverticulosis)...        UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    
So with all that, let the new lifestyle begin, and just like with running one step at a time.

I found this picture online and I think it pretty much sums things up :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Adventures in weight loss

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter